Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Jerry Falwell and St. Rita?

Yesterday was the first day of the Novena to our Augustinian sister, St. Rita of Cascia. She was a wife, mother, widow, and nun. Her husband was killed in a local feud and she worked tirelessly to bring peace to the two families after his death, rather than seek revenge.

Yesterday alos marked the death of Jerrry Falwell. His preaching and political activism was divisive and hurtful to many people, especially in the LGBT community. My first thought was, "thank God he's dead, but was about 20 years too late." I knew that judgemental thought did not deserve to amke it to vocal speech, but I did think it.

God gave me an answer and challenge durring my celebration of Mass for the opening of the Novena to St. Rita. From the preface of the Eucharist for the propers of the Mass of St. Rita:

"...ever living God...In the person of St. Rita you show us a wonderful example. She teaches us how to love you, Father and...all your children."

From the readings, first Paul says:

"Never repay injury with injury...do not avenge yourselves; leave that to God...conquer evil with good."

So my prayer at Mass was for God's mercy and forgiveness upon Rev Falwell. The love and mercy and forgiveness that I myself will need at my hour of death.

No comments: