Tuesday, May 22, 2007

St. Rita of Cascia: Patience in Trial-A Mark of Love

Today is the Augustinian feast of St. Rita of Cascia. My last entry was a little about her life. I have spent the last nine days offering a novena of masses in honor of St. Rita to the Glory of God. And, I had a number of intentions both personally and for the Order and Church, but whether or not these are answered, more importantly, I learned something.

One of the hardest things for me is to be patient, to wait, to gather more information, and to see a hopeful solution in the midst of trial. I am a rather strong "J" on the Myers-Briggs. That is both a gift and a curse-to be a Judger. Circumstances in my life the past few years have really challenged me to grow beyond that gift to learn patience, to see the journey as being even more important that the destination.

St. Rita wanted to be a nun, but her life took a different direction. She was a wife and mother first. She fulfilled an important role as wife and mother to help bring about peace to her village. She waited over thrity years and many challenges before realizing her dream to be a nun at the Augustinian convent in Cascia.

Our AIHM Order is about to turn 14 years old. This August, God willing, we will have our first profession of vows apart from any of the founding memebers. Fourteen years! Everything is possible only by the journey that led to hear and now, the trials, the pain.

The tradition holds that Rita will send the rose but also the thorn regarding a petition and answer to prayer. That notion always scared me. I have enough thorns in my life. LOL But, I remember a poem I wrote in high school: In order to admire and apprciate the beaty of the rose, you must risk, even endure the thorns.

Thank you St. Rita for your example and prayers. Glory be to you God in your angels and saints!

No comments: